Sunday, July 13, 2008

Blue Water, White Death


I realize that on this one I'm probably really late to the party. Anyone who finds sharks fascinating, and probably spends their hours glued to the tv during shark week has probably seen this before, but I have to say almost 37 years after its release this documentary scared the bejeezus out of me.

The first movie I ever saw in my life was Jaws, but this documentary about an expedition of scientists and divers looking for the elusive great white came out four years BEFORE that quintissential blockbuster and its shark scenes are far scarier than anything on amity island.

It's also fun to tag along with the ships crew as they set sail from south africa and head out to the ocean searching for the maneater. There's near misses, anticipation, a smaller shark feeding frenzy, and plenty of disappointment. Oh and they've brought a folk singer on board the vessel to help pass the time away.

When they finally do find the shark off the coast of australia the footage is more terrifying and awe inspiring than any picture I've ever seen. Just try not to squirm in your seat as the great white bears its teeth and attempts to take a bite out of the camera. If you can sit still during a sequence like that, you've got stronger nerves than I.

So on the patented scale of Buy it, Rent it, Watch it on Cable, or skip it- This is an unequivocal BUY IT.

No comments: